Introduction to 5S -The Super Organiser
The 5 steps of 5S are as explained below:
Sort: This process identifies the items that are required to perform work in the work areas. Clear (sort out) all other items from the work area. This has following benefits:
- Efficient use of work space
- Improved safety
- Improved productivity
- Improved utilization of materials, supplies, and resource
- More visible work flow
- Improved employee satisfaction
- Improved quality
Set In Order: Aplace for everything & every person at its place. This supports in ease for retrieval. This has following benefits:
- Elimination of 7 wastes and ease effort needed to search for or retrieve tools and supplies.
- Easy identification of any missing tools
- Improved safety through an organized workplace
- Increased productivity
Shine: Proactive/preventive housekeeping to keep work areas, work surfaces, and equipment clean and free from dirt, debris, oil, etc. Benefits:
- Cleaner and more satisfying place to work
- Improved Quality standards
- Maintenance issues exposed faster (planned downtime vs. unplanned downtime)
- Improved safety (fewer accidents)
- Improved work culture
Standardize: Do things in a consistent and standard way. Formulate standardize procedures for activities, instruction, schedules, checklist for helping keep the workplace clean and organized. Standardize work area layouts and storage techniques wherever possible. Visual Management implementation for ease of maintaining standardisation.
Sustain: Integrate 5S principles into the organization’s objectives in order to sustain new standards and continually improve the workplace.