This Law says, work expands to fill the time available for it’s completion.
This is human nature to be at ease, if you had large amount of time available for doing a particular job, & work with full vigor, in case, you are falling short of time. The only thing matter is target date of completion. On many occasion we have more time then required. Instead of wasting that time, we shall use it in a wise way to be more efficient. We can take advantage of that extra time in many ways. Few of them are discussed as below:
How to take advantage of Parkinson’s Law:
1. Chop your tasks into chunks, and force you to set a specific timetable for accomplishing them.We can not eat an elephant in one go. Its wise to cut the big task in to pieces & set defined target to finish each task. This will keep track of all the activities & alarm when ever any critical activity is going behind schedule.
2. Make a rule to do mandatory, XYZ activities before 10 am & set fix period for remaining job. These activities are done daily without fail. Thus we shall give priority to these activities before proceeding to the long running tasks.
3. Stop working late & manage all activities within office times.If we are working late, we shall analyse & ask “why” we need to stay back in office. We shall be efficient enough to manage all task within office hours. We shall preserve after office hours for personal life. work life balance is very essential for managing stress in challenging environment.
4. Limit tasks like responding to email/Social Networking to thirty minutes a day.Social networking viz. facebook, watssapp, twitter is eating away chunk of time without adding any value to our life. We shall be very careful & use these things very carefully & in way that, time shall not be wasted.
5. Fill in time gaps with filler tasks like following ups, feed reads, Email checking, planning other day etc.Learning is never ending process. We shall keep on learning by way of reading, doing, certifications etc. The time, which we get in between shall be used for adding value to ourselves.